Page 12

Kirby smacks the ground with her palms. Suddenly, the floor beneath the guard begin to shift and soften into a gooey substance. The man screams and struggles futility to swim out sticky murk. Kirby watches him for a moment, his pleas for mercy ignored, before turning her back as the floor swallows the guard like quicksand.


She finds the shattered remains of the picture frame, shaking the glass off of the photo of Byron as the tears well up in her eyes.


KIRBY
I don't blame Dawn. I blame you, Byron! This was your fault! You made me kill her! Why didn't you stay true to me?! Why?!


A flashing of white smoke explodes behind her, and Byron appears as the smoke dissipates. His sudden appearance doesn’t surprise her.


BYRON
I loved you, too, Kirby.


She gathers herself and turns to face him.


KIRBY
So...you finally figured it out.

BYRON
I always had my suspicions. The truth is, the counseling helped.